Highland Park Christian Church was established in 1956. Seventeen people attended the first Sunday service on July 1, 1956. Our Partner in Education school, Hoover Elementary, was one year old.
Highland Park was started with the help of the Northeastern Oklahoma Evangelistic Association and the Cincinnati Avenue Christian Church.
Highland Park’s first meeting place was the 15th Street Community Center followed by the MacArthur Elementary school. Two and a half acres of property were purchased in a “new area” of Tulsa at 31st and Hudson for $13,000! The first building was dedicated on June 21, 1959.
While the facilities have grown and changed, a dedication to worshiping God, studying Scripture, caring for people, partnering with missions work, and providing high quality chidlren's and youth programs has remained.
Don S. “Pappy” Hinkle was Highland Park’s first Minister and he served until 1961. He was followed by LeRoy Veale, David Kelley, BA Austin and David Dunson. In 2009 we completed a transition period in leadership where Brian Jennings, our former Youth Minister, assumed the role of Lead Minister and Dave Dunson transitioned to the role of Pastoral Care Minister. They embrace a "Team Leadership" philosophy, which heightens the roles of all of the Staff members.