- Jesus didn't need to be baptized for repentance, yet it was important enough for him to walk 60 miles.
- It signaled the beginning of His public ministry.
- God was "well pleased."
- Jesus commanded it.
- Belief and baptism are given the same consideration.
John 3:22 & 4:1-2
- Jesus was part of a "baptizing movement.."
- Three thousand were baptized as the Church was birthed.
- Peter said, literally, “Be baptized IN ORDER FOR your sins to be forgiven.” This was the first sermon preached after Jesus’ ascension. It established the norm for being saved.
- Philip and the Ethiopian both went into the water.
- Even though Lydia already believed, she decided to be baptized.
- The Jailer and his household were baptized ASAP.
- Paul describes the symbolic significance of baptism.
1 Peter 3:18-22
- It’s not the act or the water that saves us, it is God’s removing of sin from us, which is pictured as dirt being removed.
Also see Acts 18:8; 19:15; Ephesians 4:4-5; Colossians 2:12